Rajasthan
Hair Transplantation: Hc Notice To Cm Gehlot Over Remarks On Judiciary | Jaipur News

Jaipur: Preponing the hearing on a request made by petitioner, a division Bench of the Rajasthan High Court on Saturday issued notice to chief minister Ashok Gehlot on a Public Interest Litigation (PIL) seeking contempt proceedings for remarks made against the judiciary and lawyers. The CM has to reply by October 3.
The court had earlier fixed September 5 for hearing the PIL. A division Bench comprising Justice MM Shrivastava and Justice Ashutosh Kumar, however, heard the matter on Saturday and issued the notice to Gehlot for his reply on his matter.
“The contents of the statement, if made by the respondent Ashok Gehlot prima facie make out a case that tends to scandalise the courts because it does not refer to any particular case or category of cases, but general in nature against the judiciary as whole,” the court observed in its order.
“We are inclined to seek a response of the respondent with regard to the statement which are attributed to him in this petition on the basis of newspaper report,” the court said.
Petitioner Shiv Charan Gupta claimed that the CM will have to appear personally in court. “We had requested the court to hear the matter early and we had filed an application in this regard. On Saturday, I was informed that the matter is been listed for hearing,” said Gupta, a retired judicial officer and practicing lawyer at the HC.
This comes after Gehlot on Thursday backtracked on the remark about alleged “corruption in the judiciary”, stating that it did not reflect his “personal opinion”. Gehlot’s remarks were also criticised by former Chief Justice of Allahabad High Court Govind Mathur and former Rajasthan High Court judge KS Rathore.
At Pratapgarh on Saturday, Gehlot said, “I have always respected judiciary and whatever I said was also said by Supreme Court, earlier. There should be no misunderstanding. I am also a family member of lawyers. Whatever I have said is nothing new. You all must have read and heard similar comments on judiciary by the CJI, retired and sitting judges.”
A similar contempt petition was filed by retired district judge Kishan Gujjar in Ajmer seeking contempt proceedings on Friday.
The court had earlier fixed September 5 for hearing the PIL. A division Bench comprising Justice MM Shrivastava and Justice Ashutosh Kumar, however, heard the matter on Saturday and issued the notice to Gehlot for his reply on his matter.
“The contents of the statement, if made by the respondent Ashok Gehlot prima facie make out a case that tends to scandalise the courts because it does not refer to any particular case or category of cases, but general in nature against the judiciary as whole,” the court observed in its order.
“We are inclined to seek a response of the respondent with regard to the statement which are attributed to him in this petition on the basis of newspaper report,” the court said.
Petitioner Shiv Charan Gupta claimed that the CM will have to appear personally in court. “We had requested the court to hear the matter early and we had filed an application in this regard. On Saturday, I was informed that the matter is been listed for hearing,” said Gupta, a retired judicial officer and practicing lawyer at the HC.
This comes after Gehlot on Thursday backtracked on the remark about alleged “corruption in the judiciary”, stating that it did not reflect his “personal opinion”. Gehlot’s remarks were also criticised by former Chief Justice of Allahabad High Court Govind Mathur and former Rajasthan High Court judge KS Rathore.
At Pratapgarh on Saturday, Gehlot said, “I have always respected judiciary and whatever I said was also said by Supreme Court, earlier. There should be no misunderstanding. I am also a family member of lawyers. Whatever I have said is nothing new. You all must have read and heard similar comments on judiciary by the CJI, retired and sitting judges.”
A similar contempt petition was filed by retired district judge Kishan Gujjar in Ajmer seeking contempt proceedings on Friday.